Sunday, March 6, 2011

Getting that Camera for Real

What camera should I get?  It is one of the most asked questions.  The short answer is the one you will use, and understand.  In fact I don't know what processed me to write this at all.  I bet most of you have a camera already.   Others will get theirs as a gift and still others will go to the store and get the one they can afford.  There are a bunch of cameras out there, and just as many Web Sites reviewing them.  I recommend:  (  http://www.dpreview.com/  )  I'm not even going to try to tell you which  one to get.  I use Canon, now.  I formerly used a Nikon.  Before that I shot Pentax.  Forgot Mamiya, it fit in there somewhere.   Right now I want to switch.  It is a costly deal to switch.  There are many good brands: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, Samsung, Ricoh, Leica  and I'm sure I have missed some.

Several years ago I was asked to shoot a tournament.  I never had.  I owned a Nikon camera that I swore I would have forever.  It is now gone.  I own three Canons.  After shooting the tournament I knew one thing for sure.  I owned the wrong lens.  Not the wrong camera the wrong lens.  The most important decision is the lens.  No one asks me about lenses they ask about cameras.   They would be better of to ask about lenses.  You would be better off buying any old camera and getting a good lens.  I beat this to death in the previous post and now I'm done.

Today I am considering a new camera.  I already have good lenses (I just can't keep from talking about lenses).  My first thought is to continue with canon, but....(There is always a but) .   Brand identification can lead you down a very bumpy road indeed.  Just so you know I think Canon produces a great line of cameras.  I own 3 of their cameras, all my lenses they make, and I use their flash guns (Another problem) Now the story.

Canon produced the 1D Mark III.  It would take 10 frames a second, 10 megapixel, sealed against weather, with more settings than a person can count.  It was a sport or wild life shooters dream camera.  Except....it had a problem focusing.  Well, if the subject was stationary it did the job, but if the subject was moving....not good (remember sports wildlife) .  Canon after pressure from purchasers, and reviews and about 9 months bent to pressure.  They agreed to fix of the cameras and redesigned the model.  The designed model worked and the fix worked.  The camera cost about $4700.  Yes $4700.  It wouldn't focus.  So what did they do next?  They released the 5D Mark II and guess what.  Yeah there are problems with the focus.  It only costs $2500, but..... I frequent a site that publishes user reviews.  On the first page of the site there are 12 reviews, 8... yes  8 complain about the focus.  Check it out here:                                                                      (  http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=368&sort=7&cat=15&page=1  ).  
In defense there are a number of great photographers that use the 5D Mark II and the 1D Mark III.  One of my favorites uses the the 5D Mark II ( He has published many books).  Just the same focus problems.  It is kinda like buying a new car and then being told, "It drives well as long as you go straight."  There are two lessons first don't be the first to buy.  Wait see if there are any problems with that new model.  Second lesson is even the leader can trip, stumble and fall.  Choose carefully it will be your camera for several years.

So let's get down to it.  The big decision is between DSLR (interchangeable lens camera) and P&S (cameras with out interchangeable lenses) cameras.  If you have always used a P&S and have been satisfied. I suggest you buy another.  If you are dissatisfied then you have another decision, get another better P&S or DSLR.  I am tempted to quit right now, but I feel the need to confuse you readers.

Outside of the interchangeable lens thing there are some more subtle differences.  The sensor, the thing that actually records the picture, are larger in DSLRs.  The advantage of a larger sensor is it can record more information.  Think of it this way.  Lets just say I wrote this on facebook.  I would have gotten that alert that says too many character a long time ago, less room.  I know some of you may like that, but for a camera more information is better.  It gives more detail.  More like this blog.  If you are going to only print 4x6 inch prints or post on the net it doesn't make much difference, but if you are putting it on a billboard.....Well you get the drift.  Next a P&S is easier to carry.  It will slip into a purse or pocket and some are so light they can stay there.  There are some P&S cameras that are too large for this and look more like traditional cameras.  They usually have more bells and whistles.  There just isn't a DSLR camera made that will go into a pocket and they will be too heavy for a purse.  A lot of pro photographers buy P&S's because of their convenience.   The next difference is ISO.   A higher ISO will allow you to get pics with less light.  (Has to do with that sensor thing)  DSLR's usually have higher useable ISO's because of the larger size.  THe final difference is the flash.  (discussed here) Usually DSLR's have a superior flash because they can add more light than P&S's.  Most, not all, P&S's have rather anemic flashes.  They will light about 10 feet give or take a foot or two.  DSLR's can have an onboard flash, hot shoe or both. A hot shoe is on top of the camera and can be used to attach a flash (purchased separately).   The hot shoe flash is the most powerful. (A few P&S's do have a hot shoe)







Confused yet?  Ok here is more simple version.

DSLR's usually have better optics, but not always.  (I know I keep saying that about the lens)
DSLR's have larger sensors which are better.  P&S's will usually provide prints up to at 8x10's and                                     probably 11x14's.
DSLR's usually have better ISO performance than P&S's. (Negating use of flash in some instances.)
DSLR's usually have better flashes than P&S's.
DSLR's are difficult to carry and will spend time at home. P&S's are not heavy and are easy to carry.
DSLR's cost more.
DSLR's are more complex to use properly.  (usually)

There are other differences, and differences between different DSLR's and different P&S's.  Anyone who wants to chime in the comments please do so.  Also take note the number of times I said "usually", there just aren't many absolutes.  Finally if you want my assistance when buying just ask, or if you own and want my help operating your camera, just ask.  That would be easier than trying to evaluate all those cameras out there.   Still the easiest answer is  "Get the one you will use and will take the time to understand."

A special thanks to Irene.  She said,  "Ted why not add pictures."  I know.   I am a photographer, and that should have come to mind quickly....

Photography is all about light.  I know you thought it was about taking a photograph, but no it is about light.  So next is shutter speed, then ISO, then F-stop.  I promise these will be shorter and will have more pictures thanks to Irene.  http://www.dpreview.com/

No comments: